Sunday, December 13, 2009

12.13.09

I can't believe it is Sunday night already!! My very short weekend has ended way too soon. It was a fun one though....

Friday I worked until 9:00pm as usual. Jason and new friends Brian and Ben met up with Andrew and I after work and we took a bus to Kyungsung. It is more popular and western than the area we live in. Apparently talking (especially loudly) is frowned upon in Korea. Of course the boys I was with were a little tipsy and not really that quiet but everyone pretty much hated us! In fact two middle aged Korean couples actually made a college kid tell us to shut up lol. If looks could kill, we would all be dead! Although dirty looks are a part of being American in Korea, so I have come to expect it.

We were originally supposed to say at an all you can drink bar for abotu $12 but for better or worse they were not having that special on Friday. Andrew and I had to grab food and we ended up at a weird but nice bar. It overlooked the city and the lights were dim so I like it! ha! They actually served western food so I got to eat a quesadilla and some fries. I don't understand why beans are so rare in Korea! They are really cheap, last forever and easy to ship? Mexican food without beans is only ok and I'm pretty sure the fries were from Costco but when you are starving and a vegetarian in Korea- any food that you can eat turns into the most amazing meal you've ever had! By the time we joined the boys at the bar they had done several tequila shots and could hardly stand. So of course we naturally drove another 30 minutes to go to a another bar....

The bar was two stories and pretty cool. We saw a live band, met more western teachers and gambled with some cool Korean dudes lol. I have to post the pictures (this week I hope!)!! I a kiss on the cheek and a whisper that I was beautiful by a Korean boxer lol ohhhhhh what a night. Oh and I saw another rat when we were leaving! YUCK! I hhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaattttttteee rats.

After only getting 4 hours of sleep, Andrew and I had to wake up at 8:00am Saturday morning to attend the speech contest at our school. While I was exhausted, I have to admit that the kids were absolutely adorable! I even recieved a rose from one of them!! The kids make teaching at our school managable. Oh did I tell you that in addition to no sick days, only recieving vacation days randomly and picked by our supervisor, we now also don't really recieve health insurance. Apparently whenever we go to the doctor, we have to bring the school our receipt and they will reimburse us. hmmmmmm good to know! So anyway, after the speech contest our director took us out to lunch. It was a nice place. I have to give him credit for trying to feed me, but of course we are in Korea and meat is everywhere. He did get me a ticket to the salad bar and ordered a special vegetarian soup for me.......the only problem came when I went to take my frist sip of soup and picked up the fully crab that was in there. Basically I get sneaked attacked by fish or egg at every meal. I also learned that I am teaching my director's child in one of my classes......this happens to be my very naughty class. The little girl also happens to be the one who I tell to stop whining and that it won't get her anywhere in life....pretty much everyday! ooops!

We were with our school until about 2 or 3. Andrew and I did a Lotte Mart run and rested for a bit after that. Around 7:00 Brian and Jason showed up at our door to take us to a toga party in Centum City. That was a lot of fun!!! I met a bunch of western teachers who live close!! This makes me very happy. Around midnight we all went to a bar and met up with even more western teachers and fun Koreans. It was a very funny and fun night. Like I said before...hopefully pictures this week!

Today Andrew and I climbed Mt. Hadan. It was huge and we walked through the university (located in the mountain) to get to the top! What we thought was an hour hike ended up taking about 5 hours. Who thinks that trying new trails to get to the bottom is a good idea? Apparently we do....it didn't work out so well. The view at the top was amazing. It was sooo incredible and peaceful up there. Our town is completely surrounded by large mountains and the sea. We were wearing a tee-shirt and pants and sweating! The weather is awesome here- I just wish it was a little more clear today....but next hike hopefully! So Korean's are amazing hikers. I think Andrew and I were the youngest people by about 20 years and we were sweating through our shirts and weezing....the Korean's didn't even have a drop of sweat on their forheads! I'm sure it didn't help that we were both hungover but still! At one point I got really dizzy. It is soo crazy to be that high with not railing or actual stairs. It was very therapeutic but it would never fly in America! You are literally on your own up there!

After our 5 hour hike, Andrew took me out to a cute restaurant called "Mr. Pizza." We were only allowed one glass of pop and one bowl to share for salad but it was really really good! The salad bar had loads of fruit and vegetables WITH OUT meat and we were able to order a vegetarian pizza!!!!! The only different part about it was that it had corn on it, but it was yummy! Next time we go there we are getting cheese actually cooked inside the crust! Ahhhhh to be a fat American. It's funny, I didn't think I would be able to get cheese or pizza in Korea and that is practically what I am living off of. I feel so unhealthy. Fiber is no where. Everything is super sweet or salty. Koreans have a ton of vegetables, they just don't understand why anyone would want them without meat lol. I'm sure it would be eaiser if I actually spoke Korean.

I took Andrew out for an ice cream tonight and we are now sitting at a PC Bong. I am so lucky to have Andrew. I had the best day just hanging out with him. He is so caring and wonderful for my vegetarian needs! He doesn't have a good time unless he knows I am happy. I don't want him to suffer for me, but I think it's pretty adorable that he cares that much. Pretty perfect that one! <3

Jamie I wish I had my computer so I could talk to you and the family!!! When love? When you ship it could you please ship yourself in the box as well???? Poor Dondell misses her beeeeeesssstttt friend.

I LOVE YOU ALL!!! I wish I could be enjoying the Christmas preparations with everyone! <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment