Hello Hello Heloo!
So I just finished another day of teaching and I must say that it gets eaiser every day! Of course I have good days and bad days depending on the kids and lessons but I am getting the hang of the overall flow of things. I think that most of the lessons are really silly and usually end up being 5 minutes of work for a 40 minute class- so I am learning how to be creative and the art of language games! I am growing very fond of my Korean kids...when they are not being naughty! :-)
I have already run into my first argument/situation at my school! Geesh! Only the second week!!! As you know last Friday I was extremely sick due to being in a new culture for the first time and having zero time to adjust...I was trowing up constantly and therefore had to miss a day of teaching. I sent Andrew to tell the school of my situation and they basically freaked out and treatened to not pay me for the day. This wouldn't have been a big deal if the school themselves hadn't revised my contract stating that instead of 10 vacation days I would only have 7 and the other 3 days would be used as PAID sick days! I brought this point up to my supervisor and basically had a intense discussion that went in circles. She said that "this has never happened before in the history of the school" and "you didn't give us very much notice".....was I supposed to email them a week before when I was in America letting them know I will be sick friday 12/4?!! I fear they do not really understand the concept of sickness. My contract requires that I have a medical consent form but I didn't have insurance at the time.....when I went to the hospital for my checkup the director and my supervisor said I didn't need to worry about getting a note! So my supervisor actually has the gull to tell me I needed a note, needed to give them more notice, and that because of this they weren't going to pay me. I brought up the fact that I couldn't give more notice......you told me not to get a note......and it is in my signed contract that I will recieve paid sick days. Well this conversation lasted about 30 minutes and nothing really came of it. She pulled me aside today and told me that the director has decided to pay me (gee thanks) but I should never get sick again.......... hmmmm korean way?
Yesterday one of my youngest kids did something really inappropriate asking what the word for my ummmm chest was and went so far as to demonstrate hand gestures......thanks again cole! I wish I could show you his drawings....they are all SO morbid! Guess you will have to wait until we are in person again!
I am having fun exploring Hadan with Andrew and Jason. They had some fried chicken from a very snazzy place with white chiars and dime lights. The chicken came with a complementary friut salad which I enjoyed! In my excitement to explore I think I accident dragged Andrew and Jason to a ummmmmmmm prostitue parlor?!!!?!?!? Don't worry we ran right away instantly.... except for Jason, he stayed. hahhahhahah just kidding!!! We all ran away. Crap like that is EVERYWHERE in Korea!
I am also terrified of Korean driving! I fear for my life everyday. I thought walking was bad enough, but actually driving in a car with a Korean driving is a life or death situation. I don't think they look before they pull out....in fact I'm not sure they look period. There are no driving rules in Korea as far as I can see!
Tonight we are going to go out to eat with a the western teachers I work with and other near where we live! I'm excited because we are going to a diner where they actually serve vegetarian food! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!! I will let you know how it goes!
PICTURES COMING SOON!!! <3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment