Monday, December 7, 2009

Getting Got in Korea

Hello! I have a couple more Costco stories that I forgot to share in my blog last night. First- The food court at Costco was even crazier than the store itself. People were everywhere and finding a seat almost impossible. Apparently it is very popular to order full pizza's instead of the individual slices that American's get. Also, Korean's like to put loads of chopped onion, mustard and ketchup on their pizza!! It was soo weird!

It was also quite the adventure trying to find Costco itself. Thanks to Jason's famous maps (;-p), we weren't really as close to it as we thought we were once we left the subway. This wasn't really an issue for me because I got to explore more of Busan and see the probably hands down the most adorable dogs in the world. They were about the size of kittens! Apparently Korea breads minature cats/dogs as their pets! I wish I thought to take pictures!!! My new quest is to find a pet store near my apartment. I make no promises that I will not come home with a new minature dog....
Getting to Costco itself was alother feat! We tried asking directions on the street but no such luck. We came across a cop and a security booth who were under the impression that we either meant "Bosco or Posco".....when Andrew finially showed them his Costco ID they flipped out! Apparently everyone world wide goes is obsessed with Costco as Americans! The older men hailed down a taxi and explained where we wanted to go. When the cab driver didn't know where Costco was- they went nuts! I would have paid money for that reaction! Two Korean older men shouting in Korean "COSTCO" "MART!" and doing large hand motions of big shopping buildings! HA! Even the smallest things seem like a big deal in Korean. We found Costco. Just saying...we are a pretty big deal here in Korea :-p

So I think Korean's are playing mind games with me. I don't know if they don't want to speak English because we are obviously in Korea (I get that) or if they just want to mess with my head... Andrew and I have become regulars at this tiny cheap (but yummy) orange dinner (orange hole they call them) right next to our apartment. One younger guy there is VERY nice and makes all of our food. Andrew ran into him on the elevator (they deliver) in my apartment complex last week and tried speaking with him. The Korean dude held up his hands and said "oh no! No English!" with a smile. Last night we tried explaining that I wanted a sushi roll without meat and that I was a vegetarian, and the Korean dude responded "no meat? no fish? no egg? yeah all vegetables. I know!".....!?!!?! While I was super excited that I finially found a place that can cook for me, I was competely suprised that he just spoke perfect English with us? This also happened today at the bank. Anderw and I were went there to exchange some American money that we brought and the bank teller (?) tried asking me my name. She of course askes me this in Korean. I expected that. She then tried sounding it out like "HAAAA, SHHHAAA" since my name is Danielle, I was confused and thought she was talking about something else. I turned to Andrew and gave him the confused/panicked look I give him 25 times a day, and the band teller looked at me rolling her eyes and said " What is your name?"....in flawless English! What? Did she see me and my 6'5 blond boyfriend and think "You know what? I speak English, but lets try a round of Korean first..see where it takes us." I am getting got by Korea and Korean's. It's that simple.

I just finished my second day of teaching by myself. It went pretty well! I was more strick with my very very bad kids and it seemed to work! Andrew and I also had to go to the hospital today for our drug testing and physical. While I do not know for sure, I am going to say that Korea might be behind American when it comes to the medical system. We had to pee in an open paper cup..which was just sitting on the table by everyone throughout the entire hour we were there AND I had to give an old school x-ray! I felt like I was fuming radiation when we left there. Actually, I still do. Ugh! If I am a health nut my whole life and die from cancer caused by a Korean hospital- I will be pissed!

Well I should probably go now! I just wanted to let everyone know that I live for your messages and emails! It makes me feel like I am still a part of your lives! Love and miss you all! xoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment